The Black Car Fund Raises Surcharge to 3% in Order to Fund Additional Driver Health Benefits
Given the Black Car Fund (BCF) is funded by a surcharge on each trip, its funding has declined in line with the number of trips. Rates will increase on November 1st.
The Black Card Fund (BCF) put out the following statement on its Facebook page.
As we continue our mission to provide health and wellness benefits, as well as education, to our Covered Drivers, we are continuously seeking new benefits and opportunities to support them. All of our free benefits, including full Workers Compensation coverage, have been funded by a 2.5% passenger-paid surcharge. Over the last twenty years, we have only ever had a single increase in this surcharge, while continuing to expand and offer new benefits. Unfortunately, the coronavirus pandemic has decimated the for-hire vehicle industry, and due to the unprecedented decrease in for-hire vehicle trips, the funding for these important programs has significantly decreased as well.
Prior to the pandemic, New York State passed legislation officially authorizing The Black Car Fund to use up to 0.5% of its surcharge to provide additional health benefits. As we work to continue providing our existing health benefits, as well as introduce new benefits in the coming months, the decision was made to raise this surcharge by half a percent, bringing the total surcharge to 3%. This rate increase will go into effect as of November 1st, 2020. The safety and well-being of our Covered Drivers is our top priority, and we look forward to announcing the launch of new health benefits in the near future.
About the Black Car Fund (from BCF website)
Who We Are:
• The Black Car Fund is a non-profit organization created by New York State to protect New York’s for-hire drivers and their passengers — so that every ride is a safe ride.
• We administer safety and health programs that benefit for-hire drivers, their passengers and other New Yorkers on the road. We also provide workers’ compensation insurance to black car and luxury limousine drivers who work for our member bases.
• We have approximately 300 member bases throughout New York State, covering 70,000+ affiliated drivers. You can see a list of our participating bases here.
• To view our driver informational handout, please click here.
What We Do:
• Background Checks: All of our drivers must be able to pass a full background check.
• Safe Driving Programs: We train drivers to share the road with pedestrians, bicyclists and other motorists, as well as how to use defensive driving skills to avoid accidents. Read more here.
• First Responder Training: Our Hands Only CPR program prepares our drivers to be ready and able to provide and direct urgent medical care, keeping watch over our communities. Read more here.
• AMBER Alert Response: We train our drivers how to proceed when they believe they have identified either a missing child or a vehicle police suspect is involved in an abduction.
• Workers’ Compensation Insurance: We provide insurance to for-hire drivers with wage replacement and medical benefits if they are injured on the job. Our workers’ compensation plan can also cover medical expenses, hospital fees and medication costs related to an injury. Read more here.
• Driver Death Benefit: If a Black Car Fund driver passes away while on the job, their loved ones are eligible for a $50,000 payment to help them recover from tragedy. Learn more here.
The BCF also launched a health benefits program for TLC drivers in July 2018. Here is the link providing more details on the program.
The TLCMKT Newsletter is written by Dawood Mian, Founder & CEO of TLCMKT. I cover the NYC ridehailing industry and related news. Search TLCMKT for TLC cars, parts, service, accessories, professional services, reviews & more. Find great deals at TLCMKT.COM.